Coastal Sea Kayak Award (British Canoeing)
At this level, we take the idea of you being a fully independent paddler and transpose it into the moderate sea environment.
We’ll focus on safety, rescue and all the skills you need to comfortably control your kayak in winds up to Force 4, surf up to 1m and tidal flows up to 2 knots.
2 - 5 day course
All equipment provided
Learn how to be safe at sea
On-site camping and Accommodation
From £100 per day + 6% booking fee
9.00am to 5pm
Details & Itinerary
At the end of the course, provided paddling at the required level, you will be offered the British Canoeing Coastal Sea Kayak Award.
British Canoeing has no specific prerequisites for obtaining this award.
Previous experience required:
- Plenty of experience in a sea kayak
- Ability to roll set-up in flat conditions
- Either already have the British Canoeing Sea Kayak Award or be paddling at that level
We start the day in our classroom. Where we paddle and what we cover will largely be based on what your current skills are and what you’d like to develop.
Generally we’ll be looking for wind up to Force 4, surf up to 1m and tidal flow of up to 2 knots.
What we will cover:
- Trip planning; tide, weather and other environmental factors
- Paddling your kayak efficiently; development of more complex paddling techniques and coping strategies for moderate conditions
- Rock hopping, wind up to F4, surf up to 1m and tidal flow up to 2 knots (conditions dependant)
- More complex peer rescues, towing, self rescues and rolling in moderate conditions
- Map and chart reading skills including deck-top navigation
What you should bring:
- Lunch is not provided, please bring your own packed lunch and any other snacks you require for the day/course (in a suitable container to be taken on the kayaks i.e plastic food container)
- Drinking water
On cold days: Bring a jumper or fleece that you don’t mind getting wet.
On hot days: You might wish to bring clothes to wear kayaking that you don’t mind getting wet (much more comfortable than a wetsuit). The kayak coach will advise on this during the introductory talk.
What we provide:
Top-quality instruction and leadership from our qualified coaches
Small coach to group ratio of 1:4 or 2:6
We will provide all equipment you need or you are welcome to use your own.
We will have available:
- Drysuits (in winter and on particularly cold days)
- Buoyancy Aids
- Spray Skirts
- Dry Bags
- Map Cases
Your coach will discuss this with you on arrival and can provide anything extra you require.
Minimum participants to run: 1
All of our courses are guaranteed to run with only one person booking.
You can book your course safe in the knowledge that it will run, even if it’s only yourself booked on!
Want to know why we’re operating this way?
We have many years of experience in the kayaking world and we have all been frustrated when we book a course and make plans around it, only to be told shortly before that the course will not be running due to low participant numbers.
We want to be as customer-focused as possible. We have committed to running all courses even if only one person has booked.
Yes, this does mean we are operating at a loss in these instances, but we think you’ll be so impressed with the service we offer that you will be returning and bringing friends with you in the future!
And it’s a day out at sea doing something that we are passionate about, so we all win!
Taught By Experts
A passionate team that is dedicated to helping customers on their personal journey in kayaking.
Small instructor to group ratios to ensure you get the personal attention you need.
All Kayaking Equipment Included
We can provide everything you need including wetsuits, windproofs, paddles, buoyancy aids and kayaks. Your coach will discuss this with you when meeting you and get anything extra you require.